- Develop and maintain academic programs of excellence in the visual arts by providing quality instruction and advising for students, both major and non-major.
- Stimulate the creative development of students by encouraging intellectual growth, self-discipline and high standards of academic performance.
- Encourage competency and productivity of faculty and provide facilities commensurate with the professional and academic goals of the department.
- Serve the broader aims of the University by emphasizing faculty and student participation in the visual arts as a vital part of the cultural mission of the University.
The Department of Art of and Art History values faculty who:
- Actively engage in the practice of creating, understanding and teaching art;
- Advance artistry through innovative studio practice and exhibitions of art;
- Advance scholarship through publication and dissemination of research in the visual arts;
- Demonstrate intellectual curiosity; personal integrity, critical thinking, and risk taking;
- Openly and willingly support, mentor, and inspire students.
The Department of Art and Art History values students who:
- Engage, persist, envision and are innately curious in their studio practice and scholarship;
- Can collaborate, be flexible and open to feedback;
- Use critical thinking to reflect upon and initiate and rework ideas and materials to achieve a personal idiom;
- Engage with the broader arts community and across other disciplines;
- Take personal responsibility for their education.
The Department of Art and Art History values a curriculum that:
- Is progressive—underscoring quality of object, quality of concept, and quality of exploration while seeking relevance with contemporary practice;
- Offers opportunities for international and interdisciplinary study;
- Offers a strong visiting artist and critics program;
- Offers service-learning experiences, internships and other practicum and/or career-based learning opportunities;
- Offers a strong foundation program and provides continuous assessment of learning;
- Is supported with state-of-the-art equipment and facilities that support 21st century learning.